Tina Fey has always been the devil on my shoulder. Watching 30 Rock, like many other young gays, I saw a mirror of myself. Donuts for breakfast, yep. A limited social life, definitely. No luck with men, duh. An uncontrollable stream of bitchy retorts, absolutely. She was all the worst parts of myself laid out on screen (no matter how hilarious in comedy form) however, reading her book Bossypants she swapped sides to the angel. Here are some of the quotes I connected most with I have decided to share for your #MotivationalMonday.
‘Don’t waste your energy trying to educate or change opinions; go over, under, through, and opinions will change organically when you’re the boss. Or they won’t. Who cares? Do your thing and don’t care if they like it.’
– on following your own path without forcing others to deviate from theirs.
‘Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don’t just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles.’
– be proactive, the answers not going to fall out the sky. Be your own saviour.
‘When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: ‘Is this person in between me and what I want to do?’ If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you’re in charge, don’t hire the people who were jerky to you.’
– don’t let other peoples opinions on you allow you to change yourself to accommodate them, don’t be phased.
‘I would not trade any of these features for anybody else’s. I wouldn’t trade the small thin-lipped mouth that makes me resemble my nephew. I wouldn’t even trade the acne scar on my right cheek, because that recurring zit spent more time with me in college than any boy ever did.’
– get to a point of comfortability in your life where you genuinely appreciate your body for everything it provides you.
‘I feel about Photoshop the way some people feel about abortion. It is appalling and a tragic reflection on the moral decay of our society… unless I need it, in which case, everybody be cool.’
– there’s nothing wrong with getting your good angles or using filters. Nobody snaps the Taj Mahal in shitty weather and bad lighting.
‘It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist.’
– do not enforce your opinions on others, even if you deem their opinions wrong, the world would be boring with 7 billion versions of you.
‘If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?’
– face masks, hair styles and clothes are cool and fun, but don’t think too much about it.
‘Confidence is 10 per cent hard work and 90 per cent delusion.’
– throw your entire self into anything you want, think or do. Do not fear failure.
‘Say “Yes” and you’ll figure it out later’
– don’t waste time thinking of implications or practicability. Just go for it.
‘You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the water slide, overthink it. You have to go down the chute.’
– jump into every situation head first. Always.
I gave commentary alongside the quotes as to what they meant to me, let me know if you gained a different notion from them. I definitely recommend Bossypants by Tina Fey, not only will you find more great quotes like these but hilarious stories and behind the scenes goss in her unmistakable voice.
I hope at least one of these helps you in whatever situation you’re going through, unless you’re perfect and not in need of any Tina Fey motivation then fuck off dude, I don’t need your kind in here. Sorry, still working on the bitchy retorts.