Two years ago today Luxembourg elected Xavier Bettel to run their government as Prime Minister.
This position caused him to be the third openly gay political leader of all time, and the only one still in office.
Bettel formed his government in December 2013 after snap elections in October at which his Democratic Party, the Socialists and Greens emerged with a small majority over the largest overall group, the conservative Christian Social Party.
Before attaining this position he was mayor of Luxembourg City from 2011-2013.
June 2014 saw lawmakers decide to approve same-sex marriage, a change that saw him wed his partner, Gauthier Destenay, in May of the following year.
His policies included reforms on same-sex marriage in Luxembourg, replacing religious instruction in schools with general ethics classes and cutting spending to maintain Luxembourg’s AAA credit rating.
As leader he stated his seven priority themes for the Luxembourg Presidency:
- Stimulating investment to boost growth and employment
- Deepening the European Union’s social dimension
- Managing migration, combining freedom, justice and security
- Revitalising the single market by focusing on the digital dimension
- Placing European competitiveness in a global and transparent framework
- Promoting sustainable development
- Strengthening the European Union’s presence on the global stage
While the politics side may bore you, it is important to recognise important LGBT figures in our society, and Bettel is definitely one of them.
Congratulations on two years Xavier Bettel!