For the past few weeks in December we’ve been providing a special Christmas bop list. So For our special day this is our best yet.
The past weeks we have given you under appreciated bops, Glee covers and pop festive tunes. This week, on Christmas day we’re going traditional. Here are the top 10 best selling Christmas songs ever.
10. When A Child Is Born – Johnny Mathis
Released in 1976. Chart Position: 1.
9. The Millennium Prayer – Cliff Richard
Released in 1999. Chart Position: 1.
8. Fairytale Of New York – The Progues ft. Kirsty Maccoll
Released in 1987. Chart Position: 2.
7. White Christmas – Bing Crosby
Released in 1942. Chart Position: 5.
6. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid 20
Released in 2004. Chart Position: 1.
5. Mary’s Boy Child – Harry Belafonte
Released in 1957. Chart Position: 1.
4. Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade
Released in 1973. Chart Position: 1.
3. Last Christmas – Wham!
Released in 1984. Chart Position: 2.
2. Mary’s Boy Child – Boney M
Released in 1978. Chart Position: 1.
1. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
Released in 1972. Chart Position: 1.
Listen in Spotify.
Clearly we as a society do not buy music generally, and especially holiday music as compared to previous generations due to online streaming and illegal downloads. With exception of 2004’s Band Aid single, with money purchases being donated to charities, the majority of singles are from the 70’s and 80’s.
What is surprising is that Mariah Carey’s now iconic track is not featured. Furthermore, many of the regular songs we play at Christmas are also nowhere to be seen. Maybe its best we keep making our own playlists as this ones kind of a snoozefest.